- What is UITS? UITS (short for Unique Identifier
Technology Solution) is a specification that describes a common way to embed metadata
into unprotected media files so that it is possible to detect when the metadata
is modified. The specification requires metadata about the content and distributor,
and identifiers that distinguish between different purchase events. A variety of
other metadata such as web links and copyright status are optional. The metadata
is arranged in a standard way and is cryptographically signed so that tampering
can be detected. UITS can be used for a number of different purposes, such as communicating
the copyright or parental advisory status of a file, verifying retailer sales, transporting
redemption codes, and more.
- Is UITS an industry standard? UITS was
developed by UMG with input from other music companies in the hopes of establishing
a single standard for tamper-resistant metadata. It is available to anyone who accepts
the license terms. However, use of UITS by other content owners is purely voluntary.
- Is UITS designed to track users? No. There
is no requirement for any personally identifiable information, or for information
that can be used by a content owner to identify a user. The specification requires
that each UITS payload is uniquely identified, and gives the retailer or distributor
a number of options as to how that is accomplished.
- Is UITS DRM? No. UITS is just a collection
of clear-text metadata in a file with some extra tamper-detection data. UITS is
intended to work with regular MP3s and other media files.
- Can UITS track my playback activity? No.
UITS is just extra metadata in a media file.
- Who needs to take a license to use UITS?
Companies that directly generate or parse UITS payloads or that make products that
generate or parse UITS payloads. Transporting a file or playing a file with UITS
does not require a license.
- What is the cost to use UITS? UMG is offering
a free license for its IP subject to the click license. We are unaware of any third
party IP, and we have attempted to use open and standard technologies to avoid any
associated license fees.
- Is any UITS related software available?
Not publically. UMG may make validation software available to licensees in the future.
- I found a mistake in the specification. Who should I contact?
Feedback is subject to the UITS license terms. Please send email to
uits-info(at) umusic (dot) com .
- I would like to suggest a new feature or a change. Who should I
contact? Feedback is subject to the UITS license terms. Please
send email to uits-info(at) umusic (dot) com .
- I have a question about the license. Who should I contact?
Please send email to uits-legal(at) umusic (dot) com .
- What is the current version of the UITS specification? Version 1.1
- I would like to embed UITS into a file type not currently covered
by the specification. What should I do? Appendices will be
issued from time to time detailing how to embed UITS into different media files.
If the media type is not covered, you can send a request and optionally a suggestion
to uits-info(at) umusic (dot) com . Feedback is subject to the UITS license terms.
- How do I get the CME-UITS Specification?
Both the regular UITS Specification and CME-UITS Specification are included in the
zip file that you will be emailed after agreeing to the license.